In keeping with the aspirations of the NUC guideline and in keeping with the motto of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, the Department strives at producing sound and knowledgeable personnel in the studies concerning man, his complex nature and relationship with the world around and beyond. In this context, effort in geared towards laying solid academic foundation for scholarly studies and practical development through research in Igbo, African and Chinese Languages; Literatures and Cultures.
The objectives and expectations of the academic programmes mounted in the Department of Igbo, African and Chinese Studies are:
- To develop and enhance the students awareness of the values, contributions and potentialities of their own social and cultural environment.
- To empower the students to contribute meaningfully towards the attainment of national goals and satisfaction of national goals.
- To help students in developing and utilizing the spirit of self-reliance and self-actualization.
- To equip the students with the necessary tools and values which will enable them to contribute meaningfully towards socio-political and economic development of the society, building a virile,strong and united country and ensuring national and international peace, cooperation, understanding and progress.
- To promote and preserve African and Chinese life, philosophy, world-view and rich anthropological past through the study, research-oriented development and documentation of Igbo, African and Chinese Languages, literatures and cultures.
- To expose the students to different aspects of African and Chinese languages, literature and cultures so as to help them achieve greater competence and sophistication in their understanding and appreciation of the values inherent in these aspects.
- To train them to be able to apply the knowledge so acquired for the advancement of their society.
- To prepare them for further studies in the discipline and for relevant careers.